The rates of cancer diagnosis are increasing within Australia. With advances in medical science, more people are surviving cancer and living longer after a cancer diagnosis. However, they are often at more risk of health complications and side effects from the cancer and its treatments.
The good news is that physiotherapy CAN help during a cancer diagnosis. Physio rehabilitation and exercise programs for cancer patients can help reduce side effects, improve quality of life and functional ability.
Cancer rehabilitation is for all stages during a cancer journey including:
- Pre-habilitation – designed to increase function before surgery or treatment
- During treatment
- After Treatment
- Rehabilitation of patients living with cancer as chronic condition
What can physiotherapists do to help?
At The Physio Clinic, we provide a caring and supportive environment and our physios’ can help with:
- Manual physiotherapy to ease pain and muscle tension
- Fatigue management
- Goal setting
- Physical and functional assessments
- Individualised exercises to regain strength and mobility
Exercise during cancer is a safe and effective evidence-based approach – to help counter some of the physical effects of cancer and its treatment. Exercise, just like medication, is most effective when it is individually prescribed and monitored.
Exercise can help by:
- Minimising the side effects of treatments like chemo and radiotherapy
- Lowers the relative risk of cancer recurrence
- Improving energy levels, mood and posture
- Improving sleep
- Improving muscle and bone health
- Improving quality of life
We want to help shift the focus from illness to wellness and help people move beyond their cancer diagnosis.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us, if you or someone you know has been affected by cancer or would like to know more about physio treatment plans.
Written by Natalie Bukojemski
Certified Pinc Cancer Rehabilitation Physiotherapist (Pinc and Steel International)